Forums

Forum Home > EVENTS > Introducing...the Royton Road Runners Cup?

roytonroadrunners
Site Owner

Here's an idea...we have a very successful annual league competition, with divisions even named after the football equivalent (Premiership, Championship). So where's our equivalent to the F.A. Cup?

Since we have a number of club members regularly taking part in local parkruns, how about an RRR cup competition based around these weekly events? Set-up would be quite simple - all entrants put into a hat & drawn out in pairs to 'play' each other at a parkrun of their choice in a specified calendar month (each pair to agree on a convenient venue/date, a bit like how people arrange matches in squash ladders, etc). Winners go through to the next round, 'matches' to take place in the next calendar month, until we have just two remaining runners for the final.

But here's the clever bit! If we asked nicely, I'm sure that 'king of the stats' Brian Moore could come up with a 'handicap' based on recent best 5K times (I haven't told him about this, but I'm hoping he'll like the idea). So if you were drawn against someone with a three-minute better 5K time than you, the winner would not be the person who crosses the line first but would be based on performance against handicap. So if they run 2mins 45secs faster then you win (by 15 secs) & go through to the next round (times in each round would of course give Brian more data on which to produce more up-to-date/accurate handicap times for future rounds).

By my calculations if we had around 32 people prepared to take part, we could start in May & (with one round per month) finish with a final in September (or October if we take August off for summer holidays).

So what do you think? Post a reply here if you like the idea & would like to take part, we'll see how much interest we get!

March 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MaryF

Sounds like fun. I'm up for it. You'll have to stretch that handicap by more than 3 minutes though! 

March 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Freer

Up for the cup. Count me in! Can't wait to see what you have lined up for a dead heat. Replay, Pens, Golden Goal ?

March 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Notlob till I die

Have already posted this idea on Facebook, what about a league format (random draw, so not on group lines)?

People who would normally have nothing to run for if they were beaten in their first race would then still have incentive to turn up and run. You then don't need 32 runners.

I'd possibly go further and limit participation to people who have not won a trophy in the Road Championship in 2/3 years.

March 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris Lowe

Sounds like a fantastic idea. I would rather see it include everyone, that way more people can get involved.  If we went for only those who have not won anything in the last 3 years then the pot of people applying could be too small.

March 17, 2013 at 4:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

roytonroadrunners
Site Owner

Thanks Chris - I agree with you! Brian's idea of some sort of competition just for those who haven't won trophies may have some mileage (excuse the pun), but it would be different/separate to this! The RRR Cup would realistically need to be open to all to attract sufficient entrants to make it worthwhile, and the idea is that it is a true knockout - half of the competitors would by definition go out in the first round. Anyway, who knows - with Brian's handicap system, the winner might well end up being someone who has never won an RRR trophy!

March 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

esupergood

Can I suggest that you go 1 step further and have an "Open" event for anyone local to take part in?

I'm the admin at "I Love Royton" and would love to promote a huge road race where anyone could enter without being members of RRR.

email esupergood@gmail.com if you want to set something up.

Cheers

March 24, 2013 at 8:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Sweeney

esupergood at March 24, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Can I suggest that you go 1 step further and have an "Open" event for anyone local to take part in?

I'm the admin at "I Love Royton" and would love to promote a huge road race where anyone could enter without being members of RRR.

email esupergood@gmail.com if you want to set something up.

Cheers

We already have a local race that anybody can enter. Its called the Royton Trail.

See here

http://www.roytonroadrunners.co.uk/roytontrailrace.htm

March 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.