Forums

Forum Home > EVENTS > Too many races?

roytonroadrunners
Site Owner

May be a bit controversial this, but I'll do anything to get a bit of a debate going...are there too many races in the RRR Club Championship? 17 races, with the best nine to count, allows runners to miss a big chunk of the season & still be in with a chance of winning a prize at the end of the year. But for those who run most of these races - often in addition to at least one marathon - it's a pretty heavy workload.

By my calculations, only half of those who raced in 2012 (43 out of 86) completed at least 9 races, with 21 of these either doing 9 or 10.

And if we were to reduce the number - e.g. 8 to count from 15, or 7 from 13 - which are the races you'd happily do without?

March 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Santa

OK I'll be the first to bite - I would drop mid week races as they are a bugger for me to get to given my work commitments - obviously not good for Andy O but RRR would probably turn out to support his races even if they wern't in the championship

March 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris Lowe

The more races the better....keeps us all going through the season (that's just my view though!).  I think cutting out the mid week races maybe good for those  who work away or late into the evening, but for those that work weekends it might not be ideal.  It can be quite tough to complete 9 races, I suppose the question for those not doing 9 is more about whether they race for the points, for the fun or for both??

March 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Greg

I think the current balance is about right. It's important to have a good range of races, enabling those with work commitments to miss some without being penalised too much. Also, if you get injured, and miss a few races, you still have a chance of competing in your respective groups.  :)

March 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Notlob till I die

Too many races, yes.

Chris raises an excellent point, what is stopping those that do 3, 4, 5 races from doing 9 races. Is it the cost of races, too many long distance races, races too far away or do they just like to run the odd race and aren't bothered about winning anything ...

I might be wrong but I think if you get injured/have work commitments under a 7 from 13 or 8 from 15 race calendar, you are just as likely to be able to complete and count for prizes as you are under the current system. Provided the races are well chosen, that is, not too many in midweek, not clustered together, etc.

March 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Notlob till I die

43 out of 89 completed at least 9 races, you've probably forgotten the Harts and Jimmy Beadman who weren't included in the Championships owing to the date they joined. So it's a little unfair to make the comparison unless you know who joined when, Helen Knight only joined later on in the year yet managed 5 races.

March 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Notlob till I die

Races to remove  ... any 5 from the following, the GNW Half, Dent, Chester, Freckleton and Congleton.

March 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Sweeney

I think the balance is right. 

Plenty of choice to suit everbody. We all come from diffrent walks of life.

But i do find people who are chaseing points in the groups are more likely to races more.

Where as them who are mid table or have no chance take a more pick and chose aproach.

If we were to drop races i think the long races would have to go :) 

March 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

roytonroadrunners
Site Owner

Great stuff, thanks to everyone for their contributions, let's have some more...the silent majority need to be heard, it would be great to get the views of club members who don't race very often.

Interested in Stuart's point that "RRR would probably turn out to support [Andy O's] races even if they weren't in the championship..". Although it's not a scientific survey, I just had a quick look at some of the Littleborough races for last year. There were 42 RRR first-claimers (in a field of 161) for the 2012 Vera Hirst 5K, which was of course in the Club Championship. A week later, the Colin & Brenda Robinson 5K over exactly the same course had NO RRRs (in a field of 100). And it doesn't just seem to be because it was so soon afterwards... for the Geoff Doggett 5K in early May, which has been in the club championship in the past, there was just one RRR competitor in a field of 83.

Conclude from this what you wish!  

March 14, 2013 at 6:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Laura Walters

roytonroadrunners at March 14, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Great stuff, thanks to everyone for their contributions, let's have some more...the silent majority need to be heard, it would be great to get the views of club members who don't race very often.

Interested in Stuart's point that "RRR would probably turn out to support [Andy O's] races even if they weren't in the championship..". Although it's not a scientific survey, I just had a quick look at some of the Littleborough races for last year. There were 42 RRR first-claimers (in a field of 161) for the 2012 Vera Hirst 5K, which was of course in the Club Championship. A week later, the Colin & Brenda Robinson 5K over exactly the same course had NO RRRs (in a field of 100). And it doesn't just seem to be because it was so soon afterwards... for the Geoff Doggett 5K in early May, which has been in the club championship in the past, there was just one RRR competitor in a field of 83.

For me personally,  when not on maternity leave | work shifts and at least 50% of weekends and  so have to take leave to do a lot of the races IF they allow it, so the midweek races give a bit more opportunity to complete club races if not working lates!. The fact that there are quite a lot  to choose from is good, however if some were to go i'd say get rid of some of the longer ones! :)

March 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Owen Flage

Laura Walters at March 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM

roytonroadrunners at March 14, 2013 at 6:51 AM

For me personally,  when not on maternity leave | work shifts and at least 50% of weekends and  so have to take leave to do a lot of the races IF they allow it, so the midweek races give a bit more opportunity to complete club races if not working lates!. The fact that there are quite a lot  to choose from is good, however if some were to go i'd say get rid of some of the longer ones! :)

I'd be one to say there may be too many races. Mya'be cut back to 10 or 12 races. I would be happy to say goodbye to Blackpool and especially Freckleton. I think may'be look about reviewing a few of the local races and keep having a few changes every year.

March 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MaryF

I don't race for points. More a personal challenge. I like the fact that I can miss a few due to other commitments and still hope to get 9 in. I think the amount we have is about right. I am a novice though. I'm liking the challenge of the longer ones. Keeps me interested in my training.

March 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ROSE ROWSON

well i think i may sack Andys run tonight and go for one later in the calender...hence the reason why theres plenty to choose from.

March 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.